"RuntimeException aborted realtime processing" IncrementalIndex NPE in 0.7.3

I’m getting a NullPointerException like this

java.lang.NullPointerException

at io.druid.segment.incremental.IncrementalIndex$1$6.lookupId(IncrementalIndex.java:236) ~[druid-processing-0.7.3.jar:0.7.3]

at io.druid.segment.filter.SelectorFilter.makeMatcher(SelectorFilter.java:67) ~[druid-processing-0.7.3.jar:0.7.3]

at io.druid.query.aggregation.FilteredAggregatorFactory.factorize(FilteredAggregatorFactory.java:53) ~[druid-processing-0.7.3.jar:0.7.3]

at io.druid.segment.incremental.OnheapIncrementalIndex.addToFacts(OnheapIncrementalIndex.java:141) ~[druid-processing-0.7.3.jar:0.7.3]

at io.druid.segment.incremental.IncrementalIndex.add(IncrementalIndex.java:449) ~[druid-processing-0.7.3.jar:0.7.3]

at io.druid.segment.realtime.plumber.Sink.add(Sink.java:125) ~[druid-server-0.7.3.jar:0.7.3]

at io.druid.segment.realtime.plumber.RealtimePlumber.add(RealtimePlumber.java:195) ~[druid-server-0.7.3.jar:0.7.3]

at io.druid.segment.realtime.RealtimeManager$FireChief.run(RealtimeManager.java:250) [druid-server-0.7.3.jar:0.7.3]

``

when trying to use a Kafka firehose with a TSV parser. My configuration & spec file and the full realtime server log can be found here.

My guess it has something to do with my spec, specifically the filtered aggregators, but I can’t quite figure out what. Nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

– Tom

Turns out this was a PEBKAC: you apparently can’t use filtered aggregators when ingesting.

Hi Tom, thanks for this catch, I think we should do a better job documenting and testing this.

Filed https://github.com/druid-io/druid/issues/1458