Upgrade from 0.6.173 to 0.8.1 (or 0.8.2)?

Hi,

Is it possible to upgrade directly from 0.6.173 to 0.8.1 (or .2)? Or should I roll out 0.7.3 first?

Upgrades are kind of expensive in terms of testing our stuff so doing one upgrade rather and 2 would be nice.

Thanks

mark

Are you doing a rolling high-availability upgrade or a “shut everything down and bring it back up” kind of upgrade?

It would be high availability…

The upgrade from 0.6.X to 0.7.X is the big one, the upgrade from the 0.7.x to 0.8.x isn’t nearly as invasive.

The only official upgrade path is through each version, but if you read the release notes carefully you can probably figure out how to stage as few updates as possible.

I’ll add that the 0.6.x to 0.7.x version number update was due to “big scary changes” in how configurations and json structures were laid out.

The change from 0.7.x to 0.8.x was because there were a bunch of “big scary changes” to the structure of metrics. Which, if you don’t have some sort of automated metrics system, is not actually a scary change at all.

Thanks.

Ya I figured the config changes would be the beast, and while we have a stats system set up I could care less if its down for a while. I was more concerned about a subtle difference between say the brokers and historical/middle-manager nodes